Hello and welcome! I’m thrilled you’re contributing for Fitness Reloaded! The following tips will help you:
An easy way to create internal links is to mark the most relevant word(-s), e.g., pesticides. Click on the link button. Then on the window that shows up search for pesticides. Select the pesticides article, and done!
Finally, instead of copy-pasting the link add, e.g., (source: CDC) at the end of the sentence.
5. Use blockquotes (button on toolbar) for quotes and remove “”.
6. Paragraphs should not be longer than 3 sentences.
freeforcommercialuse.net/ (for list of all free image sites)
Copyright is of utmost importance. Make sure you have the right to use the image that you picked. If you find an image that you like in another site, check out the Terms and Conditions to learn about their copyright policies. If the image is copyrighted, e-mail the author and ask for permission. If you don’t get it, use another image.
Same restrictions apply when you share a video: make sure it’s ok. If you’re creating your own video and using background music, again make sure you have the copyright permission to use the music.
To add pictures in the text, use the image icon to upload the pic. Before you upload it use tinypng.com to reduce image size. Put caption or source in the caption area that shows up. Don’t forget to select an image as “featured.”
To embed a video, take the “iframe” code, click on the “text tab, and put it within those tags: <div class=”video-container”> </div>.
So on the text tab, this will look like this:
<iframe width=”960″ height=”720″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/FMiYgjsM5mM” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
- Write articles that draw people in
- Better navigate WordPress
- Better collaborate with me
- Work with media (images, videos)
Write articles that draw people inPitch: Deciding the topic/positioning FR appeals to mainstream consumers. These people are not necessarily scientists. They are just people who want to live healthier. When writing an article ask yourself – will my aunt/cousin care about this? Have I ever received a question about this matter? Why is it important for someone to learn the answer to this question? So say you want to talk about phthalates. Nobody cares about phthalates, because most people haven’t even heard the terminology. Yet, many people wonder if plastic bottles are safe. Dang! You got your subject. Another example. Say you want to talk about how important consistency is in getting in shape. Do you start out by talking about consistency? God forbid, no. You start out talking about what people really think about – results (lose weight, lifted butt, make an impression on your wedding, give a good example to your kids, etc) And now that you have a better sense of the angle of the article, it’s time to start writing. Drawing people in Let’s start with some (non-verified) facts:
- 80% of people won’t read the article, only the headline
- 80% of people will only read the beginning of the article
- 80% of the people who will actually read the article will only scan (i.e., read headlines and skim)
- so the people who will actually read the whole thing thoroughly are very few
Better Navigate WordPress1. Sometimes when you copy-paste to wordpress, <div> tags show up. You can discover those when you click on the “text” rather than the “visual” tab. These tags cause formatting problems and change the fonts, so they need to be removed.
- Try copy-pasting when the “text” rather than the “visual” tab is active.
- If you’ve already copy-pasted, then click on the “text” tab and remove <div> and </div> tags. You may also need to delete <span> and </span> tags.
Collaboration Guidelines1. To pitch an idea, “add new post” and write a possible title and an outline under “pitch” status. E-mail me about it so I can take a look. 2. Change status to “draft” if you’ve already written the article and want me to review it. Also on the top right in the “Edit Post” page, you’ll find a checklist named “Editorial Metadata”. Please use it as you write an article, it’s meant to help both you and me stay on track. 3. There’s an Editorial Comments section in the “Edit Post” page. I’ll be putting my comments/feedback there. 4. In the Editorial metadata you’ll notice that my responsibility is to target the article around a keyword. This will help the article rank on Google search so more people will read it.
Work With Media: Pictures and VideosWhere to find pictures I’m starting each article with a picture on top. I usually search flickr creative commons for images that only require attribution. When I use an image from flickr I put in (credit: [cropped from] [linked name]) in the caption. Other sites: http://www.gratisography.com/ http://www.
- The default width/height ration is 1.778. Crop image accordingly.
- Width is 900px for images that go on top.
- For all other images width is 850px. Those images can have a different width/height ratio.
- Don’t forget to use tinypng.org before you upload an image.
- Min width is 850px.