Chicken tacos w/ guacamole & mozzarella cheese
A perfect recipe for lunch - and an ideal way to use chicken leftovers.
- Calories 478
- Fat 27 g
- Saturates 7 g
- Protein 41 g
- Carbs 23 g
- Sugars 3 g
- Salt 1061 mg
- Fibre 5 g
- 2 chicken breast halves (1.3 lbs), boneless and skinless
- 1 cup water
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp guacamole
- ¼ red pepper, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
MethodPrepare the chicken or use leftovers
- Remove fat from chicken (if any) and then place breast halves in a roasting pan (14 in by 10 inch is a good size).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add water to pan bottom.
- Pour olive oil over the chicken.
- Sprinkle half the salt, pepper, and oregano over the chicken.
- Turn chicken around so that the other side is revealed. Sprinkle the final half of salt, pepper, and oregano. Place in the oven.
- After the first 45 min, check the food sporadically. Add extra water if the food is running out of it and the food is not yet ready. Otherwise, the food will “stick” to the bottom and the chicken will be dry.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until chicken is no longer pink but browned and tender. You’ll need to check the food after the first hour - if the chicken is brown, turn it around so that the other side gets to go brown too.
- Allow chicken to cool for 10 minutes, then cut in small pieces before assembling tacos.
- Warm tortillas in a dry skillet or drape each tortilla over one or two bars in the oven and bake until crispy, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Chop tomato and pepper in small pieces.
- In each tortilla, layer the guacamole, then top with chicken pieces, chopped tomato and pepper, and shredded mozzarella.
- Perfect recipe for when you have chicken leftovers.
- Don’t have the time to make guacamole? Hate avocados? Replace guacamole with sour cream. Go low- or non-fat to save some calories.
- Guacamole recipe found here.