Roasted eggplants with bell peppers & feta cheese in tomato sauce
A Cretan recipe. An excellent choice, esp. in the summer when eggplants and peppers are in season.
- Prep Time:15 mins
- Cook Time:90 mins
Nutrition per portion
- Calories 468
- Fat 26 g
- Saturates 10 g
- Protein 12 g
- Carbs 27 g
- Sugars 15 g
- Salt 1306 mg
- Fibre 13 g
- 3 large eggplants, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- ¾ of a small (8 oz) tomato sauce can
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut eggplants in ¾ - 1 in thick slices.
- Cover bottom of pan with a layer of eggplant slices.
- Cut bell peppers in 8 vertical slices and place as a second layer on top of the eggplants. Alternatively, cut again in half horizontally, creating 16 pieces instead of 8 - this will help with arranging them on top of the eggplants .
- Pour feta crumbles evenly over the peppers.
- Reach for a really tall glass that’d fit at least 2 cups.
- For the tomato mix: Pour the canned tomato sauce in the glass. Add the water, olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano. Mix ingredients using a long spoon or a straw.
- Pour the mix evenly over the food.
- Place pan in the oven. Bake for 1 ½ hr or until feta turns golden brown.
- If at any point while baking the bottom of the pan is completely dry but the food is not cooked yet, then add a little bit of water (usually less than ½ a cup.)
- As a rule of thumb, do not take out of the oven if there’s still too much liquid at the bottom (unless of course you’re afraid you’ll burn the food if you let it for longer.)
- Remove from oven. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes before serving.