Basics: Veggie Prep
How to roast vegetables
- Fresh or frozen veggies - mixed veggies, green beans, peas, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, carrots
- 1 tbsp olive oil for every serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
- (optional) Grated cheese for added protein - crumbled feta, shredded mozzarella, etc
- (optional) A cup of red wine instead of water for added flavor.
- Peel veggies if needed
- Place veggies in a roasting pan (14 in by 10 inch is a good size).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add water to pan bottom (or replace part of the water with wine for added flavor.)
- Pour olive oil over the veggiest.
- Sprinkle salt & pepper over the veggies.
- Whisk veggies.
- Optional - add cheese on top of veggies.
- Place in the oven.
- After the first 20-30 min, check the food sporadically. Add extra water if the food is running out of it and the food is not yet ready. Otherwise, the food will “stick” to the bottom and the veggies will be dry.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 45-90 min or until veggies are soft
- Allow veggies to cool for 10 minutes.
- Carrots & potatoes take the longest to be ready.
- Broccoli and cauliflower require just 25 min of baking.
- Add cheese on top to for additional protein.
- Replace part of the water with wine for additional flavor. Avoid adding cheese when cooking with wine.
- When cooking veggies that require different cooking times, avoid putting them together in the pan from the beginning. E.g., if cooking potatoes and broccoli, place potatoes in pan, cook for 50 min and only then add the broccoli to the pan.